When you’re looking for the right property to invest in, the first thing you need to do is to define what “right” means to you. This starts with your investing strategy.
Why are you investing?
- Do you want to build a healthy nest egg for retirement?
- Do you want to leverage the equity in your home to buy an investment property to pay off your mortgage faster?
- Do you want to minimise tax?
- Do you have surplus cash that you want to put to work?
- Has it always been a dream to invest?
This is the foundation for the decisions you make.
Other things to consider are:
- Budget – how much can you spend?
- Cashflow – positive or negative geared? How much are you able to pay for the property each month?
- Timing to purchase – Are you happy to put a deposit down now and wait for completion in up to two years or do you want to settle within a shorter period?
- Timeframe to own – How long do you plan to hold the property? 5 years? 10 years? Longer?
- Location – some people don’t have a preference on where they invest as long as the numbers are right and the property ticks their boxes. Others want to invest close to home or in a place they have a connection with.
- Property type – again, this is a real personal preference and will often be determined by the property location. If you’re in a suburban area, you’ll probably be looking at homes and townhomes, whereas in the inner city, apartments will be more suitable.
Whatever your strategy, whatever your goals, whatever other considerations you have, we can help you explore them to find the “right” property to meet your goals.
We always recommend that you speak with a financial planner to seek advice specific to your financial position before making these decisions.
Once you have that in place, we’re here and ready to help you start your investing journey.